Alma 29:9
" I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

A New Year in Norway

Another beautiful view of Norway

Godt nyttÅr alle Sammen! I hope you all had a wonderful New Year's eve and have been having a great start to the new year thus far. New Year's is a great time for us to look back on both our past and the upcoming future. Usually this is the time of year when dad would gather us all around the kitchen table and have us write out some goals we have for the new year. This year, seeing as I'm not at home, I've set some goals here in Norway for myself for 2017. 


Being a missionary, goals have become a regular thing every night we set goals for the next day, once a week we set goals for our week, we set personal goals once a week as well as companionship goals. Goals are pretty common place as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints. Growing up, my parents always encouraged us to set goals especially around New Year's time and even taught us how to set goals (achievable goals) as well. At this point in my life you think I would have mastered the art of goalsetting and yet, if I'm being completely honest I'm starting to think that my relationship with goals is a little bit like oil and water. They just don't mix. Now I'm not sharing that information to say that goals are dumb and that you shouldn't set any. Heck, I still set some goals for this upcoming year myself. I really do think goals are a great thing and I wish I was better when it comes to goals but for some reason I've fallen into this pattern that I think maybe one or two of you reading can relate to as well. I do a great job at setting good goals, even goals I can achieve yet goals that make me stretch. My problem is, I set them and then within a week or two I forget about them. It's like how in January after the new year everyone goes out and buys a gym membership and then by March, April, May they are back at home hanging out in their sweats (no judgment there) I've been there myself. The point being when it comes to goals I'm really good at forgetting them or ultimately just not focusing on them. Now is that to say I am a failure and will never accomplish anything. No! The fact of the matter is, we set goals to improve an aspect of our life or ourselves and every day, whether we are aware of it or not we go out and make decisions that determine our destiny. 

We live life in hopes that when we look back we will be able to see how far we have come and hopefully be happy with the person we are today and goals are just one of the many tools we have to help us accomplish that. I received a very beautiful birthday card from my aunt Teri the other day and man is she wonderful. She had gotten me this card with this stunning painting of a butterfly and cocoons and had written within the letter why she had decided to go with this card in particular. She said it was the "perfect metaphor for my metamorphosis this year into a deeper, more beautiful, more forged in hardship and triumph connection with God." She goes on to say, " your spiritual growth has been so powerfully expressed in your writing and through your photographs- so very proud of you for taking this life-changing journey, my beautiful butterfly niece!"  She's just wonderful isn't she? Anyways I share this with you all not to boast or make myself look better, but it does show that even the worst of goalsetting can accomplish things and that because of this great thing called life we all get the opportunity to learn and to grow and become our best selves if we so choose, and boy am I so grateful for that.

Looking back on this past year I am able to see how far I have truly come and it has been great to see. The road hasn't always been easy but I believe that is a big part as to why I've become the person I have become this past year. I will never forget the year 2016 and all the challenges and amazing experiences that came with it. 2016 is the year I left my family and friends and comforts of home to go and serve the Lord full-time in Norway for 18 months. This year I'm truly able to look back and see the differences I've made not only in my life but the life of others as well and I think that's truly the most rewarding thing. 


Being a missionary is one of the best things I've ever done. I hope you all are really able to see the change it has brought into my life. The perspective and direction I've been given because of it. This truly has been such a spiritual journey and great testimony builder for me. I've truly come to know my Savior and who He is and why exactly He died for me. I've come to know God this past year and probably one of the coolest part of being a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints is being able to really feel God's love for all of His children. 

I've talked to a lot of people in the year 2016, more than I talk to in probably the last five years of my life.  I've got gotten to know and meet a lot of my fellow brothers and sisters here on this journey called life.  For some of them, life is great and everything is smooth sailing while for others life has not been the easiest thing. Sitting down and talking with these people I have truely  come to know the meaning of the scripture found in Mosiah chapter 18 in the book of Mormon that says, 9 "Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort..."   God has allowed me to see a little glimpse of the incredible amount of love He has for his children. I have sat and talked with the people of Norway and have truly listen and loved like our Father in Heaven would and have come to the point where I cry when they cry and I am overjoyed when they are happy. It's been quite a privilege. I think that's what I hope you all can take with you this upcoming year. Whether you are a full-time believer, a part-time believer or not even a believer at all, I hope you all can remember as you navigate your way through this new year, that you have a Father in Heaven that knows you and loves you and I know that because I've lived it. 

I hope you all have a wonderful 2017 full of goals and accomplishments. I'm excited for this time to serve the people of Norway this year and then come back home to my wonderful friends and family. Speaking of friends and family I have a lot of people to shout out this week. Of course, shout out to aunt Teri for the wonderful card. I also got cards from Emily, Annika, Mary Jordan, the Crandall family, Sister Love, Sister Ralphs, and Dad, it was a great week for letters. Thank you all so much for the love and support. I really have the best friends and Fam back home. Keep doing awesome things and make it a great year. I'll be seeing you soon enough. Love you tons.  

Klem,  
Søster Blankmeyer


Sushi with Seif


Fireworks on NewYear's 

View over the city

No comments:

Post a Comment