Alma 29:9
" I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."

Monday, January 9, 2017

Friendship


Friendship. That's such a powerful word. I have been blessed in my own life with some amazing friends. As I was sitting at my desk last night pondering what to write about this week I found it only fitting to write about friendship. 


My older sister Sophia is turning 22 today (Gratulerer med dagen!) and she has been one of my best friends through this journey of life. I thought about my life growing up and how much love my sister Sophie showed me. I mean granted she did think I was her own personal doll when my parents brought me home but we have been some of the closest of friends ever since. Just like any other relationship, we have had our ups and downs but the love we have for each other is such a blessing in my life and I've been grateful to have someone who truly does want the best for me and helps me to achieve it. My other siblings and family members have also showed this same love towards me and I have tried my best to show that same love to the people of Norway. I was really blessed with an incredible family who showed me what friendship truly is and what it really means to be a friend.
 We go out every day and ask people on the street what is something that makes them happy. Number one answer- family and friends. Now that could be the number one answer just because it's an easy go to, but I think, from personal experience, that family and friends really do bring the most happiness. I have never been more happy then when I was in the prescence of family and friends and I've seen that with others as well. There is something about those relationships that we as individuals crave. We all want and truly need to feel wanted and loved. Life is not always easy and I know I say that a lot but like I said last week being out on my mission I have truly come to mourn with those that mourn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort and you would be surprised at how many people are dealing with difficult things right this moment. Life truly can be tough and so we all are in desperate need of those friendships that can keep us going. 

This past week I was able to make a few new friends and reconnect with some old ones as well and what a blessing that was. I was able to feel the love they had for me and that's something that got me through the week. The power of friendship is truly a great one. Someone once said, "True friendship multiplies the good in life and divides it's evils." I have seen that in my life, especially when I am going through hard times. It's my family and friends that get me through. As a missionary I've really come to grow a testimony on the fact that our Heavenly Father uses others in our lives to help us through the challenges. There have been times in my life where I am going through something difficult and I pray to my Father in Heaven for help and he sends me one of my friends. It really is crazy to me how true that statement is. Our Heavenly Father knows us and loves us so personally and uses the people in our lives to help us. 

I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have to make friends here on this earth and to build those friendships with others who I love. The Bible says about friendship in Proverbs 18:24 , "A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother." The Bible Dictionary states under "Friendship" see brotherhood and sisterhood. Our friends can become like our family and our family can also be our friends. We are all brothers and sisters here and therfore should be friendly one with another and help each other through this journey of life. We all know how great it makes us feel when we walk onto a bus and the bus driver is friendly as oppossed to when he's not. His friendliness towards us can really affect our emotions and how we go about our day. I know when I see a friednly bus driver it makes me want to go out and be friendly to others as well. That's my challenge for you all this week. Go out this week with a focus on being friendly to those around you no matter how difficult it may be. There may be those that make it more challenging than others but in my expereience they are those who need the most love. 

In John 15:13 it reads, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." Christ was our perfect example. He was a listener, a comforter, a brother and a friend. He is one of my best friends and I'm glad that I can invite others to learn more about Him and have that friendship as well. Hope you all have a great week and make a new friend!

Klem,
Søster Blankmeyer


No comments:

Post a Comment