Alma 29:9
" I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."

Friday, July 14, 2017

Blessings of Bergen












First off I want to start by saying happy late fourth of July everyone! I hope you all were able to have a fantastic Independence Day back in the states and that you were able to see some fireworks and eat some good barbecue! It is really rather difficult to try and re-create a national holiday when you aren't actually in that nation. But luckily for us, our district meeting happened to land on this glorious day so we opened that meeting with God bless America, said the Pledge, and closed our meeting with the Star-Spangled Banner. It was great. Then after district meeting we had a very patriotic lunch altogether thanks to Elder and Sister Gormley. We had really good and fresh hamburgers and for dessert Sister Gormley had made an amazing cheesecake which she decorated as the American flag. The rest of the day we all would remember things we love about America like Costco and football. Together we made a long list. America really is such a wonderful place and even though we've had our share of good and bad. I'm glad we get to call that place home. I hope you all enjoyed celebrating America just as much as us Norwegian Missionaries! Shortly after our district meeting and Fourth of July celebration Søster Hutchings and I headed to the airport to catch a flight to none other than Bergen. This would make Bergen around three for me, but now I'm not complaining. Bergen is a beautiful city. A city where all the tourist come for a visit and where most of the Missionaries dream of serving. This time we would be getting to go on splits with Søster Bennett and my very own daughter/Trainee Søster Love. Like I said earlier, we ended up flying into Bergen the night of the 4th of July. When we arrived we took the Bybane to their house and actually made it home before the Bergen sisters had made it home. When I had called them it sounded like they were at the church or something and I didn't think much of it. After a few minutes the sisters arrived and their first question to us was, "are you guys hungry?" Turns out these amazing sisters had been buying food for another 4th of July meal celebration! Of course, Søster Love and I had served together before and so she knew my love for certain foods and drinks and so that night we were pleasantly surprised with a macaroni and cheese dinner with Dr Pepper to drink and ice cream, reeses, Butterfinger and Oreos for dessert. It was wonderful. That is when I knew this splits was going to be a party!

We ended the night with a little Språk/ language study and then Søster Love and I caught up a little bit while Søster Bennett and Søster Hutchings talked. It was absolutely fantastic. I really was blessed to be able to train such an outstanding human. I was so grateful to be able to talk with Søster Love that night and truly feel of her love. That was vital to me. Actually, both her and Søster Bennett both truly exemplify the quote by Elder Ronald A. Rasband when he says that, "people are more important than anything else" Throughout my entire time in Bergen this past week these sisters taught me that through their actions. Never once during our time in Bergen did I feel like a burden or a bother I mean let's face it, it can be tough to have another sister missionary come and stay at your place. You have to feed them, get them a place to sleep, double book your days so that everyone isn't just out on the street the entire day, etc. It can be a rather tough situation but these to Sisters in Bergen never made us feel that way. They were and are absolute champions. You could tell that they both came on their mission for the people whether that be us, their fellow missionaries, or the people on the street, they came here to serve and to love the people. That was such a cool thing for me to see. During my time in Bergen we ended up having a really great splits experience and saw some more miracles and I had some fun spreading the gospel with the people of Norway. I really did love every second of it. Before we knew it, it was time to head back home to Stavanger.

Our ward mission leader had also just arrived back in Stavanger with his family. After picking up the daughter from the Temple Square mission in Utah. On Saturday, we were able to have our ward missionary meeting at their house where he shared a story from their vacation. Apparently while driving out in the middle of nowhere Utah, their car completely broke down it was way hot and while the other's were trying to stay hydrated, the adults were trying to figure out what was wrong with the car. Eventually a member of The church stopped to ask if they needed any help and was able to help them get the car towed and everything figured out. I can't remember all the details of the story, but I believe that man had actually served a mission in either Norway or some other country in Scandinavia. Either way he was excited to see and interact with some Norwegians and was kind enough even to pay for the repair on the car. Our ward mission leader then told us that something that easily could have been the worst part of their trip turned out to be one of the best and I would just have to assume it was because that man also understood the quote, "people are more important than anything else." It really is so true though, when we Focus on the people around us and show them our love it can make all the difference. I would challenge you all this week to seize the opportunity to show someone your love. Let them know that to you, people are more important than anything else. I love you all so much and am so grateful for the many blessings and lessons I received from knowing you. Have a great week! 

Klem
Søster Blankmeyer

No comments:

Post a Comment