Alma 29:9
" I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Texan in Tromsø










Shouts out to my little brother Erik who is celebrating his sweet 16 today back in the states. I hope you do better on your driving test then I did on mine here in Norway and that you pass so you can drive us to Chick-fil-A when I get back. Can't wait! In honor of my brother sweet 16 this week as well as Valentine's Day. I figured I could just share with you all 16 things that I loved about this past week. 
1. I loved going out contacting yesterday and asking people what makes them happy. We ended up stopping this one woman and asked her what she was thankful for and she told us how she was thankful that her son gave her a call yesterday on Mother's Day here in Norway which made me think about how much I love my mom. Shouts out to you Bert for honestly being one of my best friends and for loving and supporting me no matter what. I love you so much and can't wait to Skype you on American Mother's Day!
2. Second I loved church this past Sunday even though I was asked to speak and play piano, both of which stresses this perfectionist out, I was glad that I could help support the branch here in Tromsø. I also just love being able to have a church to go to hear and feel of the spirit there. It makes a difference.
3. I love the Valentine's Day party that our branch had on Friday night. It was a blast. We had pulled pork sandwiches and afterwards we decorated sugar cookies. My new friend Gabriella helped me decorate mine well I talked with one of our investigators who came to the party. We then played the classic minute to Win it games and even some dance dance Revolution. It was honestly quite the party and there was a pretty good turnout. I was able to meet a lot of members and talk to a couple of investigators as well which was great, so even though I'll be missing the Bro's sweet 16 party at least Tromsø knows how to throw a dope Valentine's Day party.
4. Speaking of Erik, I love my brother. I know I was pretty hard on you growing up but you're just a champ and continue to Love me. #Blessed. Honestly though, I love you and hope you have a killer b-day. I'm sorry I can't be there but I promise to make it up to you when I get back home. Keep killing the game. You're awesome.
5. Primary was a blast this week. My friend Gabriella who helped me decorate cookies at the Valentines party is our one and only kid in primary, but she's a hoot. She's become one of my best friends here in Tromsø already. We were able to teach the story of Noah's Ark through a puppet show which Gabriella probably followed up with her own puppet show version of Noah's ark. It was great. We took some selfie's and then sun head shoulders knees and toes so you could say it was a successful day in primary. 
6. I absolutely loved my Valentine's Day cards and package this past week. It's always good to get a little something from home and Bert really out did herself this time. Also shout out to Erik and Eliza for the cards. I was able to share some of the candy with the peeps here which brought a smile to their face and the cards and package really brought a smile to my face. 
7. I really love my personal study this past week. Actually, personal study has always been my favorite out of all of our studies but this past week I found a lot of talks/articles in the Tromsø apartment and decided to go through all of them. I really ended up liking this blog post by Ariel R. Szuch who talked about feeling broken and how she views that brokenness as a gift because our brokenness connects us to each other, and our brokenness brings us to Christ. I especially love this sentence she wrote, "Sharing our brokenness brings meaning to our experiences, and the connection we make with others when we share our stories it brings healing." I love that, it's so true. 
8. I made a ton of new friends this week and anyone that knows me knows that I LOVE having friends and being with friends so that was definitely a highlight of this past week. Tromsø is just getting better and better. I am truly blessed. The people here are great.
9. Of course I've got to say that I loved and appreciated the beauty here in Tromsø this past week. This place is honestly stunning and I still can't get over the view from our apartment. The sun has also been shining ever since I got here and this Texan in Tromsø loves her sun.
10. I also love the knowledge and perspective that the gospel brings to my life. I realized after talking to so many people that my faith really has helped me so much in my life. I'm honestly so blessed.
11. I also enjoyed district meeting this past week. Elder Wakefield an Elder here in Tromsø, shared with us his ideas as to why God doesn't just give us the answers to everything. He said to us, "oranges" and of course none of us knew what he was talking about and then he had us ask him what he ate for breakfast and he responded with oranges. If God just gave us the answers to everything it wouldn't make sense. We need to ask and then we can begin to understand the answers.
12. I loved being able to talk to so many of my fellow missionaries this past week. Soster Atanasio and I have been giving referrals out like candy this past week and so I was able to talk to a lot of my friends around the mission. Also homeboy Elder Rogers had his birthday on Sunday so I got to call him too. Talk about blessed.
13. I have also come to love the scripture in D&C 64:33 which says, "wherefore, be not weary in well doing, for you are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth with that which is great." Sometimes it feels like I'm not accomplishing anything but this scripture reminds me that I am laying the foundation that one day someone will come to Norway and be able to build off that foundation that's already been laid down for them.
14. I have such a love for my friends back home that continually support me. I would not be the person I am today without each of you. Thanks for putting up with my crazy self. You all are the real MVPs. Sorry for the late 2012 reference. I promise I'll be cool again when I get back. Love you guys.
15. I have such a love for my testimony. This week we had a pretty intense teach with two students from Bible school he basically just wanted to tell us we were wrong but it really only strengthened my testimony of the Gospel. I'm so glad that even though I make mistakes sometimes that I know I have a Father in Heaven who loves me. I am so grateful for that knowledge and for the testimony that I have of this gospel and for this opportunity to share that with others here. 
16. Lastly, I love my family and for the support that they show me whether they be members of the church or not. I was really blessed with the best. Thanks for all that you all do for me. The cards and packages and prayers really get me through. I love my mission so much! But I also love that I have so many amazing people back home that make me excited to get back and see again.

I literally love you all so much. I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's Day spent with those you love and a wonderful week as well.

Klem,
Søster Blankmeyer 



LOOK MOM NO HANDS






No comments:

Post a Comment